2009-09-09

Paying for threading support for SBCL on Windows

I asked this on #lisp but apparently is was the wrong time of the day since there were only a couple of trolls awake. So, I'm aware threading is not support for SBCL on Windows at the moment but what I don't know is whether anyone is working or has been working on it recently. The best I could find on Google was a GSoC 2008 project by Elliot Slaughter. Now, I could try digging through the SBCL mailinglist archives on SourceForge, but Jesus Christ, I hate using that site since it is so unusable. Anyway, I'm pretty certain no work has been done on it recently. My point is: I'm willing to shell out some money for someone to work on it. Now it's not much, max 250 euros, but if there's more people than just me it might sum up to an interesting amount at some point. Why not use any of the other available implementations that already support threads then like CLISP, Clozure CL and ECL? There's a couple of reasons most of which can be argued against (like performance) but I'd basically like to see SBCL become a serious contender on Windows since it is my favourite CL implementation.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might try drumming up business on the sbcl-help mailing list and then submitting the offer to sbcl-devel. About a year ago, there was some talk about organizing such bounties; but nothing came of it.

Saturday, 12 September, 2009  
Blogger aerique said...

I was planning to follow your advice after coming back from ECLM 2009 but I just noticed someone else started a discussion there already.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

Tuesday, 15 September, 2009  
Blogger R. James White said...

Hi.

What the heck - I'm not a super hacker, but would like to contribute. Count me in for another 250 euros...

Wednesday, 16 September, 2009  
Blogger aerique said...

Awesome, I'll head over to the SBCL mailinglist then.

Thursday, 17 September, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home